[Ifeffit] Demeter question and Larch

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 27 08:08:38 CDT 2019

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 1:57 PM Patridge, Christopher <patridgc at dyc.edu>
wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> A Demeter question - Is the memory limit hard set in Athena?

It is really set by the Ifeffit library, not by Athena itself.  It should
be lifted if using Larch as a backend for Athena.  That *ought* to work in
that simply by installing Larch, Demeter (latest version) *should* be able
to find and use it.  I can believe that may not work perfectly, but if it
is not working, let's try to figure out why.

> I know that I can change the 50 dataset limit, but can I increase the
> memory to handle more data as I have a relatively large set of spectra
> (~150)?  I have installed and tested Larch, but I do not see an option to
> run difference spectra in Larch GUI unless I missed something?

The Larch XAS Viewer app can definitely read in multiple spectra. It can
also read data from Athena project files (well "modern" Athena project
files), and write Athena project files.   This app tries very hard to be
compatible with the functionality and concepts and terminology of Athena.
There are some areas that I think might be noticeable improvements over
Athena, especially a) the flexibility and robustness of pre-edge peak
fitting, and b) the interactivity and customizability of the plotting
window,  c) working on MacOSX, and d) no limits on memory.  There may be a
few missing features compared to Athena, especially in that the docs are
not sufficient.  But if you (or anyone else) notices any missing features
or has questions about differences, or has any comments or suggestions,
please let me know.

 I am running windows virtualization (win 7 - 64 bit) Demeter if that
> affects the memory question.

That should not be a problem unless you're pushing the amount of memory
allocated for the virtual machine.