[Ifeffit] (no subject)

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 11 17:12:51 CDT 2009

Wback in the 70s and 80s, Powers, et. al. claimed to observe a Cu-Fe distance of 3.75A, seeing it in both the Cu and Fe edges.  However, a bit of Googling shows that
this result is in some doubt.  I once saw a Cr-Cr distance of 6 or 7A in a Cr-bis(arene) complex at 8K.  Sometimes, the contributions from the light atoms just smear out
because the distances form a near-continuous distribution way out there, leaving a heavier scatterer like Fe visible.  This can be simulated if you have a big enough cluster
size.  You may run into a limit on the number of paths, though, since there will be a huge number of them.  I would guess that you would only see the Fe-Fe at low temps.
I suspect that with something as floppy and as asymmetric as a protein, the MS paths won't contribute because you won't get a huge number of them piling up at one distance,
nor will you get focusing except for some nearby ligands such as carbonyls (Fe-C-O).  When you do the simulation, don't forget to add in some reasonable MSRD.
    mam