[Ifeffit] current-amp recommendation

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Nov 14 14:43:36 CST 2017

Hi Matthew,

At NSLS-II, we use a solution developed here at BNL for quad BPMs and
other current-measurement operations.  (I am using it for ion chambers
at my beam line.)

It is a box developed in the Instrumentation Division with a current
amplifier, an A2D converter, and a microprocessor all inside a box
that's about the size of a box of Pop Tarts.  It has 4 SMA input
channels and a single gain for all four channels.  SMA to BNC cables are
readily available from all the standard vendors.  The output is an
ethernet cable.  The microprocessor runs a small debian system and
starts an EPICS IOC and a DHCP client on boot.  the 4 current get
exposed as 4 PVs and the IOC does a lot of useful statistics on the fly.

Seems to work pretty well.

You could contact Pete Siddons.  (Search for Siddons at the BNL website.
  When I tried it, the second hit was his staff page.)