[Ifeffit] E0 on linear combination fitting: fit or not?

Voegelin, Andreas Andreas.Voegelin at eawag.ch
Sat May 13 15:38:15 CDT 2017

Hi Pamela

I would recommend to set all normalization, background removal and forward Fourier transform  parameters to the same values for all samples and references (not only E0).

Looking at your spectra, it seems to me that your sample spectrum (8MnRh_RED) was measured in fluorescence mode and was affected by self absorption (suggesting that it was too concentrated and/or individual Mn-bearing particles too large).  If you analyze the EXAFS data by LCF, the best fit you can get for your sample spectrum is with 0.62 MnO (if you do not force the LCF sum to unity; based on available references).   You could try to correct the XANES spectrum to eliminate the self-absorption effect.  For the corrected XANES, you would probably also find that the best fit involves only the MnO reference.

Best regards, Andreas