[Ifeffit] Cobalamin XANES: experiments and simulations do not match

Ganesh Subramanian gunkanna at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:59:31 CDT 2017

Dear all,

I have been working on simulating for the K-edge XANES spectra of
methylcobalamin (MeCbl) and cyanocobalamin (CNCbl). The only change in the
two materials is one bond (the upper axial bond in an octahedral
coordination at the Cobalt site) from CH3 to CN. The molecule consists of
about 180 atoms in total. We, however, use a truncated (50 atom) structure
and more recently, an extended (90 atom) structure. But neither of them
seem to predict the relative changes in peak positions and edge chemical
shifts accurately.

As a quick summary:

Experimental XANES spectra show:
1. CNCbl has a 1 eV blue-shifted absorption edge as compared to MeCbl.
2. The shoulder peak in CNCbl (about 6-7 eV lower than the main-peak) is
much stronger (than MeCbl) and comparable in intensity to the main
(strongest) peak.

We use Gaussian to identify the optimized structure and then feed it to
FEFF 8.4 to simulate for the XANES. When we do the simulations we note -

1. CNCbl has an approx. 0.1-0.2 eV red-shifted absorption edge as compared
to MeCbl.
2. The shoulder peak intensity is comparable to the main peak intensity in
CNCbl. However, in comparing with MeCbl, the shoulder peak intensity is
still lower.

Incidentally, we see the exact same problem repeat with hydroxocobalamin
OHCbl as we see with CNCbl as well ! (I do not present that here, since I
assume the origin of the problem is same).

I thought, maybe truncation is affecting the the optimized geometry when we
perform DFT and hence increased the cluster size to about 90 atoms but
noticed no significant change. (We did this quite sometime back just with
MeCbl to actually justify the use of a truncated structure. But now we are
not sure where the error is).
Now I wonder if I am performing the FEFF accurately and not missing
something here.

I attach the input feff files for the truncated and the more elongated
structures of both MeCbl and CNCbl. I also attach the (ATHENA deglitched,
merged and normalized) experimental XAFS for MeCbl and CNCbl.

Any help in identifying the issue is greatly appreciated ! (Sorry for the
long email).

Thanks,

Ganesh Subramanian
Post Doctoral Research Scholar,