[Ifeffit] Peakfitting CeO2 data in Athena

Ritimukta Sarangi ritimukta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:05:20 CST 2016

Hi Stephanie,
Typically, LCA fitting is done for the more widely applied speciation
analysis while Gaussian fitting is done to obtain quantitative pre-edge
information: a) metal-ligand covalency and b)ligand-field splitting and
metal 3d-4p mixing.

LCA
In the context of S K-edge XANES, LCA is tricky- the very detailed
structure you see in S XANES is almost always electronic in nature and can
be correlated to molecular orbital in the molecule. The correlation of DFT
derived MO energy level to metal and ligand pre-edges has exploded in the
last decade and very good correlations can be obtained. In such cases the
peaks actually do have meaning. I attach a paper on simple S compounds
where the match with theory is rather good.

This paper also talks a bit about why unknown LCA is BAD idea. Because
small structural perturbations can lead to large changes in the S XANES the
concept of "standards" is dangerous. Unless you know what you have in your
mixture.

If you are doing LCA for metal K-edges, you are mostly matching the
"Structural" part of the XANES (post edge) and not the "electronic" part
(restricted to pre-edges and to the low rising-edge). Therefore metal
K-edge LCA still makes sense and gives reasonable results.

Gaussian Fitting
Gaussian fitting only makes sense for the pre-edge region. Anything
post-edge or higher is pure speculation and you are doing so to obtain a
good background function for the pre-edge region, where all the
quantitative analysis rests. I attach on Fe K-pre-edge analysis, which
basically fits a random function to the edge-region and treats it for
background purposes. No quantitative/meaningful information can be (yet)
obtained from such gaussian fitting. Take a look at the power of pre-edge
analysis as shown in the Westre paper.

Hope this helps,
Best,
-Riti Sarangi