[Ifeffit] Regarding a fit for Fe(OTf)2

Jason Gaudet jason.r.gaudet at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 13:39:50 CST 2014

Hi Pushkar,

Do you have a reliable source that tells you what Fe-O and Fe-S bond
distances and coordination your iron triflate should have?

I'm not familiar with iron triflate but I was under the impression Fe was
coordinated to the sulfonate through an oxygen?  And if so, even if your
sample didn't absorb water, you're trying to measure a S second-shell on
the other side of an octahedral O shell?  And apparently you're correctly
fitting that O shell?  Am I visualizing the structure correctly?

If your concentration of Fe was very low, or your setup was otherwise less
than ideal (which, for catalyst studies, is pretty common), I would not be
surprised if your data quality isn't sufficient to distinguish S scatterers
on the other side of six O scatterers from your noise level.

But without knowing the structure, or your sample setup, or your spectra,
all I can really do is imagine these things ...

(And yes, it is hygroscopic.)

-Jason