[Ifeffit] Regarding a fit for Fe(OTf)2

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Dec 3 10:10:32 CST 2014

Hi Pushkar,

This is a difficult question for me to answer in a specific way
because you have assumed (wrongly, in my case) that the reader would
know what "OTf" means and to have a sense of what kind of structure
you are anticipating.

You showed a fit and gave some of the statistical results.  Nothing
seems obviously wrong.  The fit looks reasonable and the four fitting
parameters seem defensible in the sense of having reasonable values
and reasonable error bars.

Your central concern seems to be that you were expecting one thing and
found a different thing in the fit.  I am more skeptical of the sample
than of your ability to run the software.

  * Do you have any evidence that the sample you measured is the thing
    you intended to measure?  That is, do you have XRD or some other
    measurement to verify its identity?  (The label of the bottle that
    you took it from does not constitute "evidence"!)

  * Do you have any evidence that there is S in your sample?  That is,
    do you see a S peak in the XRF spectrum?

  * You mentioned something about the reactivity of your sample.  Do
    you have a measurement indicating that the sample on which you
    measured EXAFS is in the state that you want to measure?  For that
    matter, do you know that the sample is stable under the X-ray beam?

  * You state that the bottle said "anhydrous".  Is it hygroscopic?
    Did you take great care to avoid contact with air as you were
    preparing and measuring the sample?  You suggest that you did not,
    so it seems reasonable that it could have sucked water out of the
    air -- lots of things do.