[Ifeffit] Importing Multiple Data Sets into Athena

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Feb 20 08:27:00 CST 2013

John,

I think the problem is different from what you presume.

You have measured a *very* short data range.  The archive post you
cite is not really relevant.  This one is:

   http://www.mail-archive.com/ifeffit@millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/msg03717.html

There are two issues that need addressing given the data you provided.

Issue #1: As I explain in that mailing list posting, you are doing
  yourself no favors measuring data in a range from -40 to +70 or so.
  Such data are almost impossible to normalize consistently and
  defensibly.

Issue #2: Your data point out some shortcomings in Athena.  Athena
  should deal more gracefully when given ridiculous input like your
  much-too-short data files.  Here is a short list of things that
  Athena is doing wrongly:

    1. The default values for the pre-edge line are both allowed to be
       outside the data range.  This is actually the primary cause of
       your problems.  Because both pre-edge parameters are before the
       beginning of the data, the determination of the pre-edge line
       fails.  Trying to plot the pre-edge line or normalized data,
       then also fails.  This problem is exacerbated by the fact that
       you are measuing Mo.  For such a heavy element, the default
       value for the upper bound of the pre-edge region is -45.  Your
       data begin at about -38.

    2. As long as the data are flagged as being XANES data (something
       Athena does to avoid wasting time attempting to find a
       background function for very short data range), it is not
       possible to recover from problem 1.  I had to change the data
       type [1] to mu(E) in order to correctly compute the pre-edge
       line.

    3. Athena provides no feedback that the source of the problem is
       extremely short data range and poor choice of pre- and/or
       post-edge line parameters.  Athena should do some sanity
       checking and complain about the potential problem.

I will attempt to address the problems Athena has with data like this
for the next release.

You should reconsider your measurement strategy the next time you go
to the synchrotron.

[1]
http://bruceravel.github.com/demeter/aug/ui/glist.html#informationaboutitemsinthegrouplist

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov