[Ifeffit] Athena doesn't start - Larch server not running

Ivan Stijepovic ivan.stijepovic at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:33:49 CST 2013

Dear Bruce and other people in the list,

I have just installed Demeter from the git on Ubuntu 12.04 using
instructions given by Dave Hughes (
https://gist.github.com/waveform80/3959252). Everything went fine during
installation but then I tried to start Athena using *dathena* command from
the terminal and I got this message:

Demeter says: Uh oh! You have requested using Larch, but there is no Larch
server running!

Then I installed Larch (with some problems during installation, but that is
different story) and again tried starting Athena with the same result. When
I tried starting Larch in a server mode with *larch -r* command it didn't
offer a possibility to start Athena in the same terminal window. Then I
opened a new tab in the terminal and just typed *dathena* and the GUI
appeared. Now, I have two questions:
1. Do I have to start Larch server every time like this before using Athena
or is there some other solution for this?
2. I tried Artemis without Larch server running and didn't get the error
message. Is Artemis independent from Larch or are there some problems that
might occur later?

--
Best wishes,
Dr Ivan Stijepović