[Ifeffit] Importing data to Athena crashes on WinXP

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 13 13:37:09 CDT 2012

Hi Bradley,

On Aug 13, 2012 8:24 AM, "BradleyW Miller" <Miller.BradleyW at epamail.epa.gov>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've looked through the FAQ and help pages but don't see any comments
about my issue. When importing new data into Athena it crashes on my Window
XP computer. The column selection window opens and it freezes. I've
attached a file for you. I don't have the same problem with project files.
If I create a prj file in the old Athena I can then import it to the newest
version of Athena and operate with no problems. I know at least one other
person who has the same issue. Thanks for your time.

> (See attached file: As_P2.002)
>

> Respectfully,
> Bradley W. Miller, Ph.D.
> Post Doctoral Fellow
> Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education
> U. S. Environmental Protection Agency
> National Risk Management Research Laboratory
> Land Remediation and Pollution Control Division
> 5995 Center Hill Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45224-1702
>
> Office: (513) 487-2889 Miller.BradleyW at epa.gov
> Fax: (513) 569-7879 www.epa.gov
>
> www.tinyurl.com/bwmiller
>
> The great tragedy of Science—the slaying of beautiful hypothesis by an
ugly fact.— Thomas H. Huxley

> Views or Opinions expressed in this email is solely representative of the
sender and does not represents those of the EPA or any other agency.

I think the problem is the line in the header that has only numbers (0.0
0.0 ....) in it.  A simple thing to try would be to put a # sign at the
beginning of each header line.   I believe that will work, but I haven't
actually tested it.

Another possible issue is that the file might have inconsistent number of
columns, as if an extra new line got inserted in the very long lines (I
suspect this is what happened in the header).