[Ifeffit] Question about shift in E0

Brandon Reese bjreese at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 03:17:13 CDT 2011

Ahh, it sounds I wasn't entirely clear on what I doing. The measurements
were at the In edge, so I aligned all the scans such that the peak in the
first derivative of the reference foil was at 27940 eV. The peak of the
first derivative in the samples was ~27944 eV. The 1st derivative peaks of
samples grown without additional oxygen ("conducting") compared to the
samples grown with additional oxygen ("intrinsic") were ~0.5 eV different or
less.

Using the peak of the first derivative in Athena for the background
subtraction, the refined E0 in Artemis was ~7 eV for conducting samples and
~5.5 eV for intrinsic samples. I also tried setting the E0 in Athena to the
peak of the whiteline, which was about 27950 eV. Again the spread between
the white line peak values was ~0.5 eV between samples.  With this value for
the background subtraction in Athena, Artemis refined the E0's to be ~1.5 eV
for the conducting samples and ~0 eV for the intrinsic samples.

Another piece of information is that the refined CN's for the samples had an
inverse correlation to shift in E0. So the conducting samples with a higher
E0 (by 1.5 eV) had a lower CN of about 0.1. The calculated correlation in
Artemis for the two variables was ~35%.

I didn't intentionally change anything on the beamline setup. I measured all
of the conducting samples and then all of the intrinsic samples. So if there
was a sudden change in *something* in between the sample groups, it would be
consistent. The sample changes took ~10 minutes at most, so the change would
have to happen on that time scale. The only other consistency I noticed is
the conducting samples had to be shifted ~0.7 eV to get the metal foil to
line up, and the intrinsic samples only had to be shifted about 0.1 eV.

Brandon