[Ifeffit] Stoichiometry from EXAFS data

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Aug 2 08:13:35 CDT 2010

Hi again,

Your tellurium edge in particular has the kind of nice regular
structure around the edge that makes edge step determination
relatively accurate. Also, you're working at such high energies that
harmonics are unlikely to be much of an issue.

I'd probably consider your data as good to +/- 3% for stoichiometry.
Calling that "sigma" or "two sigma" kind of implies that the error in
treating many similar systems in this way would be normally
distributed, and that's very unlikely to be true. Unlike with
population statistics or counting statistics, you wouldn't
occasionally end up way off "by chance." It's almost more like a
report of precision: when carefully measuring a length with a ruler
marked in mm, it's reasonable to interpolate between the mm marks and
report a measurement as good to, perhaps +/- 0.3 mm. If, by eye, I
claim 11.3 mm, it might conceivably be 11.0 or 11.6 mm, in part
because of the ability to eyeball it, and in part because of problems
with lining up marks using rulers. But unlike with Gaussian
statistics, where two- or three-sigma events happen now and then, I'd
often be off by 0.2 mm yet never off by 0.6 mm.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College