[Ifeffit] Stoichiometry from EXAFS data

Peter Zalden zalden at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 2 07:51:57 CDT 2010

Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for your quick response! I found your suggestion very
helpful and tried to change the edge step to both extremes by tuning the
fitting range for the pre- and post-edge lines in Athena. Due to the
very flat structure in the XANES range (cf. attachement), I could modify
the value for the edge step by 3% total, which corresponds to an error
of +/-2%. One could possibly discuss if this value represents the
one-sigma or maybe the two-sigma interval, but the error is nicely small
anyway.
In the last campaign, we measured a sample of Sb_2Te_1 in two different
annealing conditions and from those different data sets (as concerns the
EXAFS range), I determined the stoichiometries: Sb_2.06Te_0.94 and
exactly the same for the second sample. Therefore, a sub-5% error seems
reasonable to assume for these semi-metallic systems.
Concerning the influence of higher harmonics: The beam was usually
detuned to 70% intensity of the main reflection so that this should not
have a strong influence, since the amount of detuning was not changed
for both edges.

Best regards,
Peter