[Ifeffit] Stoichiometry from EXAFS data

Kropf, Arthur Jeremy kropf at anl.gov
Mon Aug 2 08:33:41 CDT 2010

Hi Peter,

I would agree Scott's comments.  I have used the edge step and fluorescence amplitude to measure both absolute and relative sample compositions.  The 10% number he gives seems like a reasonable estimate of the accuracy without comprehensively characterizing the sample and the beamline.  For Sb and Te, I could be convinced that the accuracy may be better 5% since some of the sources of error are minimized at high energy; that is, harmonics are likely to be small at 60 keV and 90 keV.  I am assuming an edge step between perhaps 0.2 and 2.0.  Smaller and larger edge steps will likely have larger uncertainties.

A subtle effect that will have a larger effect of the absolute composition than the relative composition is sample uniformity on all length scales.  Typically one would only measure uniformity with millimeter beam size.  A sample may look relatively uniform on this length scale.  However, non-uniformity (for example, pinholes) on a smaller length scale could have a noticeable impact on a measurement of the absolute composition, and possibly on relative measurements, although I have worked this out.  Since your edge energies are very close and the high energy means thick samples, the non-uniformity effects will be minimized, assuming you have made samples with sufficiently small particle size.

In all, due to the high energy edges, the proximity of the edges, and the magnitude of the edge step, I think your measurement probably is accurate to better than 5%.  To do as well as +/-2% determined purely from a study of normalization, I think you have to make certain assumptions about the beamline (harmonics, beam profile, beam motion) and the sample preparation (particle size, microscopic uniformity), if you haven't made the measurements.

Jeremy Kropf
Argonne National Laboratory