[Ifeffit] Stoichiometry from EXAFS data

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Aug 2 05:52:42 CDT 2010

Hi Peter,

I've done this as well, and compared to reliable methods (e.g. ICP).
I'd be skeptical of 1%. It's generally quite difficult to determine
edge steps to that accuracy. Assuming you're using Athena to determine
the edge step, find the most extreme pre- and post-edge lines that
seem acceptable and note the range of edge steps. That will yield an
uncertainty range.

If you have strong features at the white line and just past it, I'd be
surprised if you can do much better than 10%. If features in that
region are small, such as you might have in an intermetallic alloy,
then you might get down to the sub-5% range.

While I think that determining the edge step is likely the major
source of error, you also have to be aware of the usual suspects in
XANES analysis, such as the presence of harmonics in transmission or
self-absorption in fluorescence. Testing for linearity with tricks
like putting sheets of aluminum foil before I0 can help detect some
(but not all) of those kinds of issues.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College