[Ifeffit] Stoichiometry from EXAFS data

Peter Zalden zalden at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Mon Aug 2 03:03:39 CDT 2010

Dear Feff users,

lately, we measured a sample containing Sb and Te at EXAFS beamline
CEMO, Hasylab and are wondering whether one can determine the
stoichiometry from the height of the different K edges´ steps, if one
normalizes the values on the edge steps of the elements (cf.
http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/XrayMassCoef/tab3.html). The
absorption gases and the specimen were not changed for the different K
edges.
Of course, I have already tried doing so and from statistical
reproducibility and from the resulting values compared to the expected
ones I would estimate an error of this method of about 1%. A source of
error that I could imagine originates from the different beam position
at different energies combined with a slight inhomogenity in the pressed
sample powder. Now my question is: Are there any other sources of error
that I should take into accout? Is there any reference on this method
from a more experienced user that I could cite?

Kind regards,
Peter
---
Dipl.-Phys. Peter Zalden
I. Physikalisches Institut IA, RWTH Aachen, 52056 Aachen
EMAIL: zalden at physik.rwth-aachen.de