[Ifeffit] Cementite EXAFS - thanks

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 24 16:35:23 CDT 2009

Hi Bhoopesh,

It's amazing to me how many people have asked about this data set.

I did not prepare the sample of Fe3C measured for the data in the
model compound library.   Basically, a user interested in reduced iron
phases and with good knowledge of carbides showed up at the beamline
with a vial of black powder marked Fe3C.    We made a powder-on-tape
sample of this and measured it.  At the time, the user (who knows
about diamond synthesis and who I trust) said the sample was made by
another colleague.   Yes, it all sounds "secret formula", and I do not
know whether it is pure cementite.  If you're interested,  believe I
still have this sample in my Standards Notebook if you'd like to
measure XAFS or XRD on it.

--Matt