[Ifeffit] (no subject)

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Wed Mar 11 17:43:28 CDT 2009

Hi MJacob,

One note that might help--it is not strictly necessary to fit the
nearest-neighbors in order to fit the iron-iron path. In a system like
this, I would think you might get lucky and have a big contribution
from near-neighbors, then a bunch of smeared out stuff (as Matthew
Marcus suggested) that effectively cancels, and then a little iron-
iron peak because the iron is a much better scatterer than all the
organics. If that's what the Fourier transform looks like, then you
can fit from say 4 to 5 angstroms and just use an iron path. It sounds
weird, but I've done things like that once or twice with decent
results. There are certainly pitfalls; for instance I might be a
little nervous about some focused MS path that happens to line up with
the Fe-Fe distorting the results, but it's worth a shot.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College

Could you perhaps post an image of the Fourier transform of your data
to the list? That would help give a sense of what might work and what
wouldn't work.