[Ifeffit] EXAFS data

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 28 09:47:19 CST 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009 09:13:18 am Carlo Segre wrote:
> The Farrel Lytle data is in the form of staps with calibration points.
> You need to make a conversion to energy.  Grant Bunker sent me this
> description a while ago.  I have written a Python program to do the
> conversion but have had no time to finish it off and make it really
> useful.

Much -- but not all -- of the data in the massive bitdump of
measurements made by Farrel is in that form.  This is a question that
gets asked all the time on this list -- so much so that there is a FAQ
on the topic.  See question 3 at:

  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/iffwiki/FAQ/Data_Handling

A way of converting the most common form of data in the Lytle bitdump
is explained and could be easily implemented in many ways, including
in a spreadsheet.

The problem of weird data file formats and how Athena can deal with
them is another topic that has been discussed at great length here and
elsewhere.  In fact, there is a whole section on the topic in the
Athena User's Guide:

  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/doc/Athena/html/import/plugin.html

The information inthat link doesn't help Adhijeet import his data, but
it does explain how Athena interacts with weird data files -- which is
broadly useful information.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov