[Ifeffit] SCF cards in EXAFS and SO2 of CO, Mn and Cu

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sun Jan 18 08:44:52 CST 2009

In my experience SCF is only good for one thing in EXAFS: estimating
the E0 shift. As long as that is a parameter that you are fitting, in
my experience SCF is not necessary. It doesn't hurt, but it does take
a lot of time to run FEFF when the card is included.

As far as S02 of those transition metals, it is best to run metal foil
standards on the same beam line as your samples. One reason for this
is that there are instrumental effects that can mimic changes in S02,
and it's best to account for them. For instance, no monochromator is
actually exactly monochromatic. The presence of other energies will
act to reduce S02 to some extent, but the extent will vary from beam
line to beam line, and often from run to run.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College