[Ifeffit] Kapton in glove box

Maurits van den Berg maurits.vandenberg at techem.rub.de
Thu Aug 6 02:50:06 CDT 2009

Dear Todd,

The use of Kapton sticky tape for ambient-sensitive samples works quite
well. We usually transport samples from our lab in Ar-filled schlenk
flasks, and press the pellets in the glove box at Hasylab (see also
Darek's reply).

In my experience, Kapton tape sufficiently protects the sample for one
or two days. After that, oxygen diffusion can be noticed in the spectra.

Best wishes,
Maurits.

Scott Calvin wrote:
> Good point on the cardboard, Richard. I always pre-cut strips of
> Kapton tape, so that I wasn't bringing in cardboard at all.
>
> --Scott Calvin
> Sarah Lawrence College
>
> On Aug 5, 2009, at 8:13 PM, Richard Mayes wrote:
>
>> Todd,
>>
>> Are you working with oxygen sensitive or moisture sensitive samples
>> (or both)?  If it's just moisture sensitive, then you can use regular
>> 2-sided tape from your local office supply and polypropylene film to
>> seal samples in polycarbonate or aluminum holders (or even pellets if
>> you're lucky enough to be able to press pellets that hold their
>> shape).  Chemplex Industries is where I have gotten the polypropylene
>> films I have used (and Kapton as well - www.findtape.com
>> <http://www.findtape.com> also has a good selection of Kapton tape).
>>
>> I used this method with many samples that involved heavily chlorided
>> titanium on silica and had few problems if they're used within 5-7
>> days after packing in a glove box (the samples with problems resulted
>> from improperly sealed samples).  You can get jars (baby food jars
>> work very well to ship individual samples) to store the samples for
>> shipping and if you pack the jars in the glove box, you will have the
>> box atmosphere in the jars, for a little while anyway.
>>
>> A note on oxygen sensitivity (and to an extent moisture
>> sensitivity):  you probably already know this, but I'll say it
>> anyway...if cardboard is present in the role of Kapton tape, you may
>> have oxygen/water diffusion from the cardboard for a few days after
>> you take it into the box.  Our rule of thumb was to pull vacuum on
>> anything involving cardboard for at least 48 hrs before taking it
>> into the box.  All that to say, take your supplies into the box a few
>> days ahead of time to allow your box catalyst to take care of any
>> residual oxygen/water that make their way in.
>>
>> HTH,
>> -Richard

Dr. M.W.E. van den Berg
Ruhr Universitaet Bochum