[Ifeffit] Projekt with the "flatten-problem"

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Sun Jan 14 13:34:24 CST 2007

On Sunday 14 January 2007 09:22, Bruce Ravel wrote:
> I got home last night and just opened your project file this morning.
> There is certainly some kind of bug in Athena.  I'll look into this
> situation and post something to the list soon.

Hi Jens,

There is certainly a bug in the flattening algorithm.  It is a hard
bug to notice unless your data is measured over a short energy rangte
AND you e0 shift is large compared to the data range.  Alas, that
describes your data exactly.

I have fixed the bug and the fix will be in the next release of the
software.  I am interested in getting a new release out (including
windows installer) before operation start at the APS at the end of
January, so hopefully the wait will not be too long.

Until then, the only reasonable workaround I can think of is the one
that Dave suggested:

  DB> So the work around would be to subtract the E-shift from your
  DB> Raw data, then import into Athena and do not use any E-shift.

That is, admittedly, annoying if you have lots of data.

Thanks for this bug report.

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advance Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel
 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/