[Ifeffit] Installing Tk/Horae on Fedora Core 5

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Mon Sep 11 17:40:47 CDT 2006

Hi Boopesh,

Good to hear from you.  I trust you are getting all settled into your new
position at Delaware.

On Monday 11 September 2006 17:18, Bhoopesh Mishra wrote:
> Dear All,
>     I am in the process of installing Ifeffit 1.2.9 with latest Horae
> package (-062) on my a new machine on which I have put Fedora core 5.

<snip>

>  In the manual installation of horae_061, perl Makefile.PL works fine. But
> "make" does not complete. It terminates with the same error message as the
> one with which ./horae_update terminated. (attached as a screenshot)
>
>  I have attached the screenshots of the error message for horae_update.  I
> have also attached screenshots of "make install" and "make test" for
> Tk-804-027 just in case you would like to see that.

As near as I can tell, this is my fault.  That is, I think I am making a
mistake in the build scripts.  The part that confuses me is why I have never
run into this problem before.

Here is what I *think* the problem is, although I am not 100% certain.  One of
the things in the 0CPAN directory of the tarball is a CPAN module called
Chemistry::Elements.  This is required by all three of my programs for a
variety of chores.  It is also required by a part of build script.  Thus, I
have created a bootstrap problem -- the build system install something needed
by the build system itself.  That's just me being lazy, but what's strange is
that no one has run into this before (and, I suppose, explained it to me in a
way that I understood).

Here is my suggestion.

  1.  cd down into 0CPAN/Chemistry-Elements-1.01/ in the source code tarball.
  2.  do the "perl Makefile.PL; make; make install" incantation for
      Chemistry::Elements
  3.  cd back up to the main directory and try building all of horae again
      with Chemistry::Elements installed

The errors you saw testing perl/Tk are, I think, a red herring and have
nothing to do with the main problem seen in the horae_update_error.png
screenshot.  And I don't think there are any more of these bootstrap surprises
waiting for you, but I'm sure you'll let me know if there are ;-)

Let me know if that works.  If so, I can fix the build scripts to solve that
bootstrap problem.

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advanced Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel
 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/