[Ifeffit] new versions for the new year!

Bruce Ravel bravel at anl.gov
Sat Jan 7 09:50:31 CST 2006

On Saturday 07 January 2006 04:26, Stefano Ciurli wrote:
> Running the horae_update script after I installed the program using
> the installer provided by Paul, I get the following message, which I
> interpret as an error:
>
>   = Horae Updater (using LWP::UserAgent) version 0.11
>   = Timeout = 30 seconds
>   = Attempting to fetch a release listing from
>   =    http://sourceforge.net/export/rss2_projfiles.php?group_id=80919
> XMLin() requires either XML::SAX or XML::Parser at
> /Applications/Ifeffit/bin/horae_update line 193

Ahhh, crap!  I thought I had included enough of the XML modules in the
horae distribution so that horae_update would work.  It seems I did
not.  Sorry.  It seems that horae_update should still be considered
broken.

I have to say that I am losing patience with trying to maintain this
particular piece of code.  It isn't anything more clever than a
wrapper which downloads, unpacks, and builds the tarball.  In truth,
it isn't all that hard for the user to just download, unpack, and
build.  It is, however, proving hard for me to stay on top of a moving
target.

 --- Unless someone can give me a very compelling reason that horae_update
 --- is *necessary*, I am inclined to discontinue supporting it.

Of course, this is a fine opportunity for someone who would like to
contribute to the ifeffit community by offering to take over
responsibility for horae_update....

 Molecular Environmental Science Group, Building 203, Room E-165
 MRCAT, Sector 10, Advance Photon Source, Building 433, Room B007

 My homepage:    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel
 EXAFS software: http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/