[Ifeffit] Ifeffit on 10.4

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Thu Apr 6 15:50:08 CDT 2006

You should be aware that you have to have the (optional install) of
X11 present for ifeffit to work.  The X11 installer is included in
the 10.4 installation disks (or on the backup disks with a new
computer), but it is *not* installed by default.  This would appear
to be the reason why the library /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib is not
found.  The 10.4 (and 10.3 for that matter) binary installers do
*not* install X11 (it would be a violation of Apple copyright for the
drivers in part and too large as well).  If X11 is there, the 10.4
installer should work fine -- I have installed it several times on
computers that only had a 10.4 system plus the X11 install on them
several times now (even on my own laptop after the hard disk died) so
I know that the installer itself works.  I should add a check for the
X11 environment, although I *think* it says in the text of the
installer somewhere that the X11 install is required.

						Paul

p.s what you need to do is:

1. install the optional X11 install (disk 1 of the 10.4 CD) under
optional installs or in the optional installs on the system restore
disk on a newer computer
2. at this point athena will probably work, but if you would like to
run the installer again to be sure you must delete the receipt file  /
Library/Receipts/Ifeffit\ for\ Tiger.pkg file.  This is necessary as
the installer subsystem will believe that the files specified in the
receipt are present and if you have manually deleted or moved files
it will *not* be aware of it.
3. you can now run the installer again