[Ifeffit] Minor bugs in the new versions

Bruce Ravel ravel at phys.washington.edu
Wed Apr 28 15:35:08 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 03:57 pm, Jensen, Mark P. wrote:
> 1. Lack of complaints doesn't mean that he problem is rare. I have
> consistently seen this behavior (run either Artemis or Athena) on 3
> different Windows NT/Win 2000 (incidently 128 Mb RAM) machines. I recall
> pointing it out to Bruce many moons ago, and just accepting it as the
> way things were.

I am embarassed to say that I do not remember discussing this with you
at all.  Sigh!  Apparently there is a severly limited number of
problems that I can keep in my little brain at any given time.  When
enough new ones show up, the old ones get squeezed out like tooth
paste.

One solution to this problem is to have a web based bug tracker that
people can submit their bug reports to.  This wouldn't necessarily
result in faster fixes, but it might help my memory problems.  I don't
really have access to a machine where I could set one up, but if
someone wanted to volunteer, that would be great.

Mark, if you are so motivated and your memory is configured in an
appropriate way, it would be interesting run your tests with variable
amounts of memory in the computer and let us know the results.  It
would also be interesting to know how the behavior of A&A changes
depending on what other programs you have running at the time.  (That
is, can you only open both programs if Word is not running on an XYZ
Mb machine?)

As for splitting the list into xafs and software tracks, that's not a
bad idea.  It's not obvious that the volume is really so high (and it
certainly is not noisy enough) that this is completely necessary, but
there is nothing wrong with the notion.

I must say, though, that I am thrilled that so much traffic lately has
been about the practice of xafs rather than the bugs in my crappy
software.  To my mind, that is the ideal use of the mailing list.  I
found both the substrate and k-range threads to be very interesting.

 Bruce Ravel  ----------------------------------- ravel at phys.washington.edu
 Code 6134, Building 3, Room 405
 Naval Research Laboratory                          phone: (1) 202 767 2268
 Washington DC 20375, USA                             fax: (1) 202 767 4642

 Beamlines X11a, X11b, X23b
 National Synchrotron Light Source