[Ifeffit] Minor bugs in the new versions

Jensen, Mark P. mjensen at anl.gov
Wed Apr 28 14:57:35 CDT 2004

Along the topic of not being able to run Artemis and Athena
simultaneously under Windows.

1. Lack of complaints doesn't mean that he problem is rare. I have
consistently seen this behavior (run either Artemis or Athena) on 3
different Windows NT/Win 2000 (incidently 128 Mb RAM) machines. I recall
pointing it out to Bruce many moons ago, and just accepting it as the
way things were. Matt and Bruce obviously spend a lot of time working on
their programs to our benefit, and I didn't think it was worth Bruce's
time to chase a small, possibly not fixable, problem like that down.
Thus, I did not bug him about it after the first mention of it. I would
just extract the EXFAS signal in Athena, save the file, close Athena,
open Artemis, and fit. It seemed like a small price to pay for being
able to use a great set of programs.

2. However, the recent exchanges on this matter got me to look closer.
Now I see that I can run both programs simultaneously on my
brand-spanking-new 1 Gb RAM Windows XP computer. I'll have to try it
under WinXP and 512 Mb RAM at home this evening. Maybe this is indeed a
memory size problem.

3. It seems like more and more of the posts to the Ifeffit list are
about general EXAFS things like (for a recent example), what k-range to
use. Bruce and Matt and others have been very helpful to the needy, and
I can tell it has been much appreciated. (I think I already know the
answer to my following question). Has it been considered to "split" the
Iffefit list into 2 topics, 1 for general XAFS and 1 for Ifeffit and
related programs. (Suspected answer.... "Great idea Mark, we've talked
about this before, why don't you volunteer?")

Mark J.

Mark P. Jensen
Chemistry Division
Argonne National Laboratory