[Ifeffit] [HELP!] Athena and Artemis doesn't start

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 16 09:24:41 CDT 2004

Bruce, Carlo,

Does this:

> Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so' for module Ifeffit:
> /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so: undefined symbol: PL_sv_undef at
> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/DynaLoader.pm line 225.
>  at /usr/bin/artemis line 49
>  Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/artemis line 49.
>  BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/artemis line 53.

really imply that it's relatd to PGPLOT??  I think the PL_sv_undef
error is a Perl internal code (Perl Scalar Variable), and that if
Ifeffit.so could not find pgplot, the errors would be more like
'_pgXXX symbol not found'.  I'd guess it was a perl version conflict
instead, or that Ifeffit.so was built with one perl version and used
with another: this is the danger of using binary packages.

If PGPLOT is built and installed with PGPLOT_install, I think this
is unlikely to show up only with the Perl programs, as pgplot is
statically linked to libifeffit.a.  That is why that installation
procedure is so strongly recommended.  So, if this really is a
PGPLOT issue, please make sure you're not using the PGPLOT from the
debian package (for linux) or Fink package (for Mac OS X), but using
the one from PGPLOT_install.

Hope that helps,