[Ifeffit] [HELP!] Athena and Artemis doesn't start

Carlo U. Segre segre at iit.edu
Fri Apr 16 09:34:07 CDT 2004

Matt:

Perhaps you are right.  In any case, it is an issue with
incompatibilities of binaries.  I am working with him to fix this.  In
general, I am planning to set up automatic build scripts so that the build
dependencies stay up to date with changes in the distribution.  This is
not so much a problem with the Debian stable but with the bleeding edge
versions that he uses.

I am trying to get these packages into the official Debian distribution
where the automatic updates happen with no human intervention.

Carlo

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Matt Newville wrote:

>Bruce, Carlo,
>
>Does this:
>
>> Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so' for module Ifeffit:
>> /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Ifeffit/Ifeffit.so: undefined symbol: PL_sv_undef at
>> /usr/lib/perl/5.8/DynaLoader.pm line 225.
>>  at /usr/bin/artemis line 49
>>  Compilation failed in require at /usr/bin/artemis line 49.
>>  BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/artemis line 53.
>
>really imply that it's relatd to PGPLOT??  I think the PL_sv_undef
>error is a Perl internal code (Perl Scalar Variable), and that if
>Ifeffit.so could not find pgplot, the errors would be more like
>'_pgXXX symbol not found'.  I'd guess it was a perl version conflict
>instead, or that Ifeffit.so was built with one perl version and used
>with another: this is the danger of using binary packages.
>
>If PGPLOT is built and installed with PGPLOT_install, I think this
>is unlikely to show up only with the Perl programs, as pgplot is
>statically linked to libifeffit.a.  That is why that installation
>procedure is so strongly recommended.  So, if this really is a
>PGPLOT issue, please make sure you're not using the PGPLOT from the
>debian package (for linux) or Fink package (for Mac OS X), but using
>the one from PGPLOT_install.
>
>Hope that helps,
>
>--Matt

Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498            Fax: 312.567.3494
Carlo.Segre at iit.edu    http://www.iit.edu/~segre