[Ifeffit] [Ext] Re: Question about mixed second coordination shell

Robert Gordon moyie.institute at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:48:55 CST 2024

HI Eugenio,

Have you seen this work? I came across it last night.
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep43791
"Local structures around the substituted elements in mixed layered oxides"

They experienced a similar issue:
  "... In the O3 compound, we included the contribution from the first-
(O), second- (/M/), and third- (Na) nearest neighbor elements. In the P2
compounds, we included the contributions from the first- (O), third-
(/M/), and fifth- (O) nearest neighbor elements. We omitted the
contribution from the second- (Na2) and fourth- (Na1) nearest neighbor
elements because the occupancy (/g/ = 0.21–0.41) is small. In both
cases, we fixed /N/_j for the three elements at the crystallographic
value (=6)..."

"...We found that the R values of the third paths, /i.e/. the /M/–Na
distances in the O3 compounds and the longer /M/ - O distances of the P2
compounds, are seriously deviated from the crystallographic values. In
addition, the/σ/_j ^2 values for these paths are significantly large
(~0.01–0.03 Å^2 ) as compared with those of the first and second paths.
In this sense, the EXAFS analysis model including the third paths
remains ambiguous. We performed another EXAFS analysis with omitting the
third path to validate the discussion above. We observed the same trend
of the /M/ – O and /M/ – /M/ distances between the compounds even if we
omitted the third path...."

Disorder does seem to be an issue. Do you have a pure phase result to
which you can compare
i.e. unaltered or non-substituted?

cheers,
-R.