[Ifeffit] [IFEFFIT] Polarized FEFF calculation

Soyoung Kim soykim at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 27 18:49:35 CST 2024

Dear Matthew,

Thank you so much for your input. I followed your advice, and indeed the
ratios of integrated chi(k) values between the polarized and isotropic
cases matched reasonably well with the 3*cos^2(θ) values I calculated. To
be exact, I integrated the scattering amplitude f(k) (i.e., the mag[feff]
column in the path file) and took their ratios.

In the process, I noticed that the f(k) is slightly different for the same
kind of paths. For example, there are two Ru-Ru single scattering paths at
3.10 and 3.54 angstroms, and below is the f(k) of the two paths (from a
non-polarized FEFF calculation):
[image: image.png]
Is this discrepancy just an artifact of the FEFF calculation? While I'm not
worried about such a small discrepancy for my project, this makes me wonder
how exactly the FEFF calculates the effective scattering amplitudes and
phases. While I will try to digest the FEFF user guide more, if you have
any quick words of advice, I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much,
Soyoung