[Ifeffit] Larch 0.9.70 released

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 9 15:39:39 CDT 2023

Hi Folks,

We have been releasing a version of X-ray Larch every few months, steadily
adding features and improving bugs in XAS Viewer and in the general
library.  We have not felt the need to announce every release, but I would
like to address a problem that many people have seen with automated
updates, especially on Windows.

Basically, automated updates from XAS Viewer do not work on Windows, and
running the automated updates can (and I think even "usually will") lead to
a broken installation.
This can be (and needs to be) fixed by running

    C:\Users\YourName\xraylarch\Scripts\pip install --upgrade xraylarch

from a Command Prompt terminal.

With the latest version, XAS Viewer will only inform you (in the status
bars at the bottom of the main window) when an update is available, and not
continually prompt you to update now.  A new desktop application called
"Larch Updater" will also be installed that will run the above command.

Unfortunately, the current version you have installed will still prompt you
for an automated update.  I recommend that you do not do this, but run the
above command yourself, and then going forward, we'll all be able to use
the updater at our own pace.

 --Matt

PS: Some of the other changes in the latest version can be seen at
https://github.com/xraypy/xraylarch/releases/tag/0.9.70