[Ifeffit] XAS viewer unit detection during data reading

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 28 11:16:56 CST 2023

Hi Siebe,

Just to agree with Edmund and Mauro:  selecting "energy" and changing data
type from "raw" to "XAS" should help.  But, you would have to do this for
every file, which is not ideal.

The file reader is trying to guess whether data is in energy (and if so,
what units are used) and whether it is really XAS data or some other kind
of data. I suspect that it is defaulting to "raw" because the energy column
is not labeled "energy", but "col1" -- it sort of looks like the reader is
not doing a good job of guessing what the columns mean.

Posting a file would help diagnose why it is guessing wrong.  The file
reading does try to guess what beamline a data file came from, so if you
send a file, maybe we can add enough hints for files from that beamline to
work more reliably.