[Ifeffit] no plot window with Demeter on Ubuntu 18.04

Joseph Zsombor-Pindera joseph.zpindera at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:37:18 CST 2019

Dear mailing list members;

I've successfully built Demeter from source on my computer running Ubuntu
18.04. Running "dathena", for example opens the familiar Athena window.
Once I try to plot something, however, I get no plot window. It appears as
if the program has done something, but the window just doesn't appear.

I have installed gnuplot-x11.
running 'gnuplot -e "plot sin(x)"' produces no window, but
'gnuplot -p -e "plot sin(x)"' produces a plot, and if I just run
'plot sin(x)' within gnuplot, then I get the plot, so it appears that
gnuplot itself is working correctly.
'show terminal' results in:
terminal type is wxt 0 enhanced
I have tried changing the terminal to 'wxt' under
preferences>gnuplot>terminal in Athena, which didn't fix the problem.
I have also tried changing the terminal to 'qt' and installing gnuplot-qt.
This didn't work, so I purged it and switched back to gnuplot-x11.
I haven't managed to get gnuplot to run with x11 as its default terminal.
It seems that the default terminal of gnuplot-x11 is wxt.

I'm not sure if these matter, but when I run Athena, I get errors in the
terminal like this:
(dathena:16207): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 11:55:29.414: gtk_box_gadget_distribute:
assertion 'size >= 0' failed in GtkCheckButton

thanks,
Joseph
--
*Joseph Zsombor-Pindera, BSc*