[Ifeffit] iron carbide fitting with Artemis

Mike Massey mmassey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:17:46 CDT 2017

The way I usually do it is to just pick one of the FEFF paths (instead of both) corresponding to the distance you care about. I actually haven't used the latest version of Artemis to do any fitting recently, but I assume it is still similar.

In your list of FEFF paths, pick C1.1, right-click and "include C1.1 in the fit." Then you define your fitting parameters for that atom at that distance, one of which should be the coordination number of the atom (I typically might define amplitude as S02*CN and put path degeneracy at 1, but there are probably other, better ways to do this ― I hope someone more knowledgeable might correct me if this is a poor approach).

So then your amplitude fitting parameter, "amp_C1," basically becomes a proxy for the coordination number of that atom at that distance, and "ss_C1" is your measure of disorder. So instead of trying to fit two C at 1.94 and 1.99 Angstroms individually, you model that with a single path of C at around 1.97 Angstroms (or whatever FEFF's R plus your fit's delr is) with disorder ss_C1, and you either set the coordination number to 2, or you guess it in the fit and hope it comes out to around 2, since it probably should.

There are probably a lot of ways to approach this, every person seems to have their preferred method. You might consider setting up a screen-sharing videoconference with someone and get them to walk you through their process for fitting. It seems to be something that is effectively learned through apprenticeship. Another possibility is attending an EXAFS fitting workshop, if any are coming up.

I recommend getting a really good handle on single-phase fitting before even attempting multi-phase fits. If appropriate, you can even just do LCF for the multi-phase system.

Just my two cents, hope my thoughts are helpful and not grossly wrong (if wrong, hopefully someone will correct me ― thanks in advance).

Cheers,

Mike