[Ifeffit] E0 on linear combination fitting: fit or not?

Anatoly Frenkel anatoly.frenkel at stonybrook.edu
Fri May 12 10:57:11 CDT 2017

I think (in agreement with Matt's comment) that if the standards are not
known to be calibrated to the same energy scale then LCA may not be as
useful if done in energy space. But, depending on the problem of course,
there could be a good spectral contrast between the data not only in energy
but also in k-space. The choice of the energy origin in k-space does not
depend on the energy scale but on the position of the "E0" point within the
edge region. Hence, even if the standards and the experimental spectrum are
not known to be calibrated to the same energy scale, the LCA can be done
for the data in k-space.

Of course, the k-space analysis may not necessarily be possible (if the
data quality is poor or k-range is too short or the background removal
process affects the results too strongly etc etc) or meaningful (if the
experimental data are obtained at different temperature, for example, than
the standards - then XANES analysis will be more meaningful by LCA than
EXAFS...) but there are definitely many cases out there where XANES and
EXAFS analysis by LCA results in similar values of mixing fractions.

Anatoly