[Ifeffit] problem with Artemis crashing on mac

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Feb 16 20:44:27 CST 2016

On 02/16/2016 09:06 PM, Katherine M. Davis wrote:
> I was wondering whether anyone had experienced this problem or had some
> advice for what I can try.
>
> I have Demeter installed successfully on my mac (Yosemite 10.10.5).
> Athena works just fine. However, when I try running Artemis, it begins
> to open fine and all the GUI windows look good, but then a popup that
> says 'Restore from an autosave file' with buttons for 'Cancel' or 'OK'
> appears. I'm not able to click on anything and the program does not
> progress from this point. I don't remember this happening when I first
> installed. Is there an easy way to go in and trash some potential
> autosave file I have that is causing problems? If so, where would that
> be located? I dug around a bit, but couldn't find anything obvious. It's
> a little odd, because I've not really used the program. I simply tested
> it when I first installed to ensure it worked and that was it.
>
> Any thoughts or comments would be useful. If additional information
> would help in diagnosing the issue, I'm happy to provide it.

Hi Kate,

Without some hint from screen messages or some such, there is not much
chance of my troubleshooting the problem.

I think the easiest work-around is to simply disable the use of the
autosave file.  This is normally done by setting the Artemis-->autosave
parameter to false using the preferences tool in Artemis.

Obviously that's a problem.  There are two solutions:

1. Figure out where the autosave file is on disk.  It's called
"artemis.autosave" -- I think.  It certainly is something.autosave.

2. Find the "demeter.ini" file (should be in $HOME/.horae) and edit it
with a text editor.  Find the [artemis] section, change "autosave" to
"false".

That should make the problem go away, at the cost of not having an
autosave feature.

HTH,

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II