[Ifeffit] Multi-electron peak in Yb

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 4 18:20:35 CDT 2016

Hi Matthew,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Matthew Marcus <mamarcus at lbl.gov> wrote:

> Does anyone know of data on multi-electron peaks at the Yb L3 edge?  One
> of the users here was just running Yb and finds on every spectrum a bump at
> the same
> energy.  It's not a Bragg glitch from the sample or an I0 glitch or any
> other obvious artifact.  It reminds me of the two little bumps at Ce.  If
> someone has
> analyzed and parameterized this peak as a fraction of edge jump, then it
> would be possible to subtract it off.  The attached papers show exmples for
> almost every
> lanthanide *execpt* Yb.

I have not done much work on Yb, and all the measurements I can find are on
the L2 edge, not the L3 edge.   That's because the L3 edge is at 8944, 30
to 40 eV below the Cu K edge.   In my experience, it's really hard to get
rid of Cu and Fe as trace contaminants, especially in natural samples.
Is it possible that what you're seeing is not multi-electron excitation by
Cu contamination?

> For those doing Ce, I've written a program which does the correction,
> essentially as presented in the attached Gomilsek paper.

That sounds useful.