[Ifeffit] Multi-electron peak in Yb

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 4 14:24:47 CDT 2016

Does anyone know of data on multi-electron peaks at the Yb L3 edge?  One of the users here was just running Yb and finds on every spectrum a bump at the same
energy.  It's not a Bragg glitch from the sample or an I0 glitch or any other obvious artifact.  It reminds me of the two little bumps at Ce.  If someone has
analyzed and parameterized this peak as a fraction of edge jump, then it would be possible to subtract it off.  The attached papers show exmples for almost every
lanthanide *execpt* Yb.

For those doing Ce, I've written a program which does the correction, essentially as presented in the attached Gomilsek paper.  Like Ce, Yb hs 2 valence states (other than 0),
but the user is sure that his sample is all 3+.
	mam