[Ifeffit] Binary SSRL Files crash upon import.

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:01:16 CDT 2015

Hi Logan,

A followup to clarify my earlier message:  I am able to read at least one
SSRL binary format file with Athena by using the provided plugin.  This is
pretty darn AMAZING.

If you're having problems reading data from SSRL with Athena,  contact the
beamline staff  to get the data formatted in a way that can be read by
Athena.    An undocumented binary format without a public, supported API
for reading it is completely unacceptable, and you should not in any way
rely on that data.   A beamline that expects anyone to use such a
non-supported binary format is NOT giving you the data you need from the
beamline.   You should get data in a readable ASCII format or stop using
the facility.  You should complain LOUDLY to the facility on
End-of-Experiment forms.    It is not forgivable to use this format.

So, while it is impressive that Athena can read some SSRL binary data, SSRL
is solely and completely to blame if Athena cannot read other SSRL binary
data.

As for the ASCII data:  Well, at least you can edit it until it does get
read in.  You might want to complain about that format too -- it's sort of
a mess.

Cheers,

--Matt

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431