[Ifeffit] Demeter under El Capitan

Muñoz Manuel manuel.munoz at ujf-grenoble.fr
Thu Nov 12 03:45:50 CST 2015

Dear all,

Thank you for your feedbacks.

After several attempts, I was finally successful with the installation of Demeter. I attach a log file summarizing the different steps I experienced (and a screenshot of the main window). I guess step 2 and 5 would have been enough:
xcode-select --install
sudo port install demeter

Indeed, several hours were required for the whole installation procedure (more than 9 hours, but my internet connection is quite slow at home...).

I can now execute athena from the terminal, and apparently it works fine. However, I observe a strange behavior : After athena is running, I must click once on the terminal window before the main menus are active in Demeter (File, Group, Energy, etc.). But when we know that, it’s ok.

And the most important, I don’t have any graphical window to display the spectra. Would you have any suggestion? (Xquartz and Aquaterm are already installed on my computer).

Thank you again for your help!
Manuel

> Le 9 nov. 2015 à 22:58, Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> a écrit :
>
> Hi Zack,
>
> Thanks -- I had a very bad time trying a fresh install of macports on El Capitan, with several successive errors with Xorg and various packages.  I also think that macports needing to install 2 different versions of gcc from source is really quite ridiculous and we should not be relying on such a system.
>
> Anyway, I'll try your suggestions and report back here.
>
> --Matt
>

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Zack Gainsforth <zackg at berkeley.edu <mailto:zackg at berkeley.edu>> wrote:
> I am running under El Capitan and previously under Yosemite.  I didn’t really have trouble with the installation, though I do note that after you upgrade the OS, you need to reinstall ALL of macports from scratch sometimes.  That means nuke the old directory, download macports from the website and install it and then install each package.  And have patience, it can take hours to install all dependencies.  I usually let it run overnight.
>
> I’m also using XQuartz.
>
> Macports has documentation about doing this:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>
>
> and if that fails:
>
> https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html <https://guide.macports.org/chunked/installing.macports.uninstalling.html>
>
> I would try reinstall first, and then if there is still trouble, dig deeper.
>
> Zack
>
> (Note, I’ve only used Hephaestus and Athena on El Capitan.  But Artemis worked for me on Yosemite.)
>
>> On Nov 9, 2015, at 8:20 AM, Fowler, Joseph W. <joe.fowler at nist.gov <mailto:joe.fowler at nist.gov>> wrote:
>>
>> Bruce, Scott, Manuel:
>>
>> I’m the MacPorts maintainer for demeter and ifeffit, but I’m afraid I have not been much help lately.
>>
>> I’m sorry that I have not chimed in about any of the recent reports Mac / Macports problems under El Capitan. It so happens that my employer (US National Institute of Standards and Technology) does not let us upgrade to Yosemite OR El Capitan. They own the only Macs to which I have access, so I can only work under Mavericks. I’m afraid that artemis, hephaestus, and athena all start properly for me.
>>
>> To Manuel from Grenoble, all I can say is that xorg-server has a lot of dependencies, and it will take a long time to install the needed ports the first time. I would not think an entire hour is out of the question, depending on your connection speed and computer performance.
>>
>> To the others having trouble running (as opposed to installing), I wonder if anyone in the community is having success with the demeter suite under El Capitan? If so, we’d all be grateful if you could let us know what tricks were required. I am totally helpless on OS 10.10 and 10.11-specific problems.
>>
>> Joe Fowler
> [...]

Manuel Muñoz

Institut des Sciences de la Terre
Université Joseph Fourier
1381 rue de la piscine – BP53
38041 Grenoble cedex 9 – France

Tel.: 33 (0)4 76 51 40 54 – Fax: 33 (0)4 76 63 52 52