[Ifeffit] Demeter under El Capitan

Fowler, Joseph W. joe.fowler at nist.gov
Mon Nov 9 10:20:09 CST 2015

Bruce, Scott, Manuel:

I’m the MacPorts maintainer for demeter and ifeffit, but I’m afraid I have not been much help lately.

I’m sorry that I have not chimed in about any of the recent reports Mac / Macports problems under El Capitan. It so happens that my employer (US National Institute of Standards and Technology) does not let us upgrade to Yosemite OR El Capitan. They own the only Macs to which I have access, so I can only work under Mavericks. I’m afraid that artemis, hephaestus, and athena all start properly for me.

To Manuel from Grenoble, all I can say is that xorg-server has a lot of dependencies, and it will take a long time to install the needed ports the first time. I would not think an entire hour is out of the question, depending on your connection speed and computer performance.

To the others having trouble running (as opposed to installing), I wonder if anyone in the community is having success with the demeter suite under El Capitan? If so, we’d all be grateful if you could let us know what tricks were required. I am totally helpless on OS 10.10 and 10.11-specific problems.

Joe Fowler
NIST Boulder Laboratories