[Ifeffit] amplitude parameter S02 larger than 1

huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca huyanyun at physics.utoronto.ca
Fri Mar 20 11:48:52 CDT 2015

Hi Scott,

Thank you. Our group has one copy of your book, I'll read it again
after my colleague return it to shelf. I still want to continue our
discussion here:

If we treat S02 as an empirically observed parameter, can I just set
S02=0.9 or 1.45 and let other parameters to explain the k- and R-
dependence? Because S02 is not a simplistic parameter which may
include both theory and experimental effects, I feel that S02 is not
necessarily to be smaller than 1, although I admit S02 smaller than 1
is more defensible as it represents some limitations both in theory
model and experiment, but I have a series of similar sample and all
their S02 will be automatically be fitted to 1.45~1.55, not smaller
than 1. Could this indicate something?

I actually found in my system, when I set S02=0.9 (instead of letting
it fit to 1.45), other parameter will definitely change but the
fitting is not terrible, it is still a close fit but important site
occupancy percentage P% changed a lot.  So how should I compare/select
from the two fits, one with S02=0.9 and one with S02=1.45 with two
scenarios showing different results?

Best,
Yanyun