[Ifeffit] amplitude parameter S02 larger than 1

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Fri Mar 20 09:59:24 CDT 2015

Hi Yanyun,

I am hesitant to promote a commercial project from which I directly profit on this list, but it seems to me you are asking a bigger set of questions than can comfortably and sufficiently be answered in this format, and they are questions which have been answered in detail elsewhere.

In my book XAFS for Everyone, I have four pages devoted solely to S02, along with related information elsewhere in the book.

Since you have a University of Toronto address, I am guessing you have access to their library. If you don't wish to purchase the book, you can request it via interlibrary loan, at no cost to you or your institution.

In the mean time, a quote from the book that may be useful in thinking about S02:

"Alternatively, one can treat So2 as a phenomenological parameter that accounts for any amplitude suppression independent of k and R, regardless of physical cause (Krappe and
Rossner 2004). Under this view, So2 does not have any particular physical meaning, and the k or R dependence of intrinsic losses can be assigned to other parameters."

That's the way I usually think about it--as not having a single physical meaning, but rather as being an empirically observed correction factor relative to simplistic theories which is indicative both of experimental effects and limitations in the theoretical model.

Hope that helps...

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College