[Ifeffit] Solution to running Demeter on an ORNL computer

Matt Noerpel noerpel.1 at osu.edu
Thu Dec 17 10:34:27 CST 2015

Hello Dave,

Writing to the list to update my situation
<http://www.mail-archive.com/ifeffit%40millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/msg05272.html>
with the EPA computers was on my list of things to do today.  While we are
both likely dealing with security issues, I don't know if this is the same
problem we were having.  We could not run Demeter even with admin
privileges.  The only possible way it would run was in safe mode.

My solution was to follow Matt's instructions
<http://www.mail-archive.com/ifeffit%40millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/msg05386.html>
to install Anaconda Python and Larch (which I apparently didn't need admin
privileges for) and run Demeter with Larch as the backend instead of
Ifeffit.  DAthena opens using Larch, but I am having issues with some
features.  Mainly the LCF does not work quite right, but I'm not sure if
that is just a problem with the reference library I am using or due to the
issue on the Demeter to do list: "Use of stdev array in LCF is slightly
incorrect, needs to be sensitive to the space in which the merge was made."
 Rebinning all the references in DAthena seems to help, but it still
doesn't work for fitting in k space.

DAthena also runs on the slow side compared to old Athena on my work
computer and DAthena on my personal computer which uses Ifeffit, but that
could just be these computers.

I am using the 0.9.23 pre3 release.  Hephaestus and Artemis also both open
using Larch, though I haven't tried to use them.

Thanks,

Matt

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 10:31 AM, Mullins, David R. <mullinsdr at ornl.gov>
wrote:

> After having run Athena and Artemis for years on my office computer in Oak
> Ridge they suddenly stopped working. The command prompt window and “credits
> window” appeared briefly and then shut down. I tried upgrading from v 9.21
> to v 9.24. This didn’t help. The problem appears to be similar to what was
> reported in October 2015 by Matt Noerpel on EPA computers.
>

> The problem is related to the restricted Administrator privileges imposed
> by ORNL IT. To install new software we temporarily obtain Administrator
> privileges. When we do this it changes our User Directory from our standard
> User Directory to Admin. Demeter’s default is to install in the current
> User Directory which is now the Admin directory and apparently programs
> installed there won’t run when Administrator privileges are gone.
>

> To solve the problem I changed the installation directory from Admin to my
> User Directory name in the long line “Install Demeter in …”. Note that I
> just substituted my User Directory name for Admin and didn’t change any of
> the other directory specifications.
>

> Hope this helps. I suspect that as time goes by many other national labs
> and companies will institute similarly restrictive Admin privileges.
>

> Dave
>

> **********************
>
> David R. Mullins
>
> Oak Ridge National Laboratory
>
> PO Box 2008, MS 6201
>
> Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6201
>

> PH: 865-574-2796
>
> FAX: 865-241-5152
>
> E-MAIL: mullinsdr at ornl.gov
>
> WWW:http://www.ornl.gov/sci/csd/Research_areas/SCC_group.html

Graduate Research Associate
The Ohio State University
Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering
noerpel.1 at osu.edu
(617) 777-9340