[Ifeffit] Demeter installation on Ubuntu 12.04

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Aug 13 16:21:28 CDT 2015

On 08/13/2015 10:51 AM, Isabelle Kieffer wrote:
> Dear Bruce, dear all,
>
> After installing demeter on my computer, I am now trying to install it
> on our beamline: a Ubuntu 12.04 machine.
> I followed https://gist.github.com/waveform80/3959252 instructions and I
> have a problem with PDL::Stats that persists as "not installed"
> dependency (see depsPDL_errors_2015-08-13.txt).
>
> I can find the corresponding package (libpdl-stats-perl) only for later
> Ubuntu versions thus I tried to install PDL::Stats via metacpan (cpanm
> PDL::Stats), but it failed (see cpanmbuild_PDLStats_2015-08-13.txt,
> which is the /home/fame/.cpanm/build.log mentioned at the end of the
> file itself).
>
> Does anyone has a solution to help me installing this missing dependency?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Isabelle,

You have the option of simply ignoring this problem.  If the module in
question is absent, Athena et al should still run.  However, the PCA
tool in Athena will be disabled.

That said, I got curious about the problem, so I used perlbrew to
install perl 5.14.4.  That's the closest version available under
perlbrew to the perl version you are using on your computer, which is
5.14.2.

I then installed PDL.  I then tried to install PDL::Stats and ran into
the same problem you are reporting.  I have a solution, but it is
requires you to do a bit of work.

Download the PDL::Stats package from https://metacpan.org/pod/PDL::Stats
(there is a download link about 1/2 way down on the left).  Unpack it
and cd into the new subdirectory.

Open the file GLM/glm.pp in a text editor.  At line 105 change

       PDL->propogate_badflag( b, 0 );

       PDL->propagate_badflag( b, 0 );

That is, correct the misspelling of the word "propagate".  Do the same
at line 172.  (You can fix the typos at lines 103 and 170, but those
are comment lines.  Not necessary, unless you have particularly severe
OCD!)

Then do the standard incantation:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make test
    make install  # or sudo make install

Worked for me.

I have not yet installed all of Demeter under 5.14.4, so I have not
yet tested whether PCA works after all this.  It's getting kind of
late, so I'll try that in the morning.

Hopefully, this will get you over this hurdle.  Presumably, the debian
package did all that....

Please report back to the list about what happens.

Good luck,

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS-II