[Ifeffit] Peaks in MCA spectra

George Sterbinsky GeorgeSterbinsky at u.northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 31 22:57:32 CDT 2014

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. Please see below.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Matt Newville
<newville at cars.uchicago.edu>wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> Calibrated spectra would help, but if we guess the calibration is 0.56
> bins/ eV, then we'd have

I've attached a plot of the data showing the x-axis in keV. Also, as
requested by Zack, I've attached a two column data file.

>   line             E (eV)       bin #
> Co La1,2       775          434
> O Ka1,2         525          294
> C Ka1,2         277          155
>
> which looks  pretty good.     This puts the the unknown peak near
> 380/0.56 which is 678 eV.   Tthat's very close to Co Ll (M1->L3),
> which is at 677 eV, and should be a bit less than 10%  of Co La1 and
> La2, which is roughly right.

Based on fitting the spectrum with Gaussians, the Co LI is 24% of the La2.
As you mention, a value of roughly 10% is expected. What could cause such a
discrepancy?

> So, I think it's Co Ll.  That says the sample is just Co, C, and O.
> Is that reasonable?

Yes, it is. I think maybe a little fluorine too, but it is very weak as I
mention in my response to Matthew.

> What surprises me is that there is no signal from the elastic peak.
> Was that somehow filtered out?

No, if there is an elastic peak it is probably lost under the Co La2.

Thanks,
George