[Ifeffit] Peaks in MCA spectra

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 31 19:10:07 CDT 2014

Hi George,

Calibrated spectra would help, but if we guess the calibration is 0.56
bins/ eV, then we'd have

  line             E (eV)       bin #
Co La1,2       775          434
O Ka1,2         525          294
C Ka1,2         277          155

which looks  pretty good.     This puts the the unknown peak near
380/0.56 which is 678 eV.   Tthat's very close to Co Ll (M1->L3),
which is at 677 eV, and should be a bit less than 10%  of Co La1 and
La2, which is roughly right.

So, I think it's Co Ll.  That says the sample is just Co, C, and O.
Is that reasonable?

What surprises me is that there is no signal from the elastic peak.
Was that somehow filtered out?  The fact that the counts don't go to
zero between C and O could be many factors, including incomplete
charge collection.  This (and Compton scattering) generally make peaks
have a slightly non-Gaussian shape, with a low-energy tail.

Cheers,

--Matt

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-252-0431