[Ifeffit] Demeter on Mac OS X

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Jun 6 08:11:34 CDT 2014

On 06/05/2014 06:09 AM, Juliana Fonseca de Lima wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have used Athena on my Mac since last month, but from last week I have
> had the below problem to open the software. Could you help me to solve that?
>

> perl5.16(423,0x7fff75854310) malloc: ***
> mach_vm_map(size=18446744071562072064) failed (error code=3)
>
> *** error: can't allocate region
>
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
>
> Out of memory!
>

> PS: I have 8 GB of physical memory.

Juliana,

I suspect the reason no one has answered your post is that you have not
provided much information to work with.  /Something/ must have happened
to your computer in the last week.  Did you do a system update?  Did you
install new software?  Perhaps a block of RAM went bad -- you could run
a hardware test to find out.  (That happened recently on one of my laptops.)

The bottom line is that I cannot see any way to diagnose the problem
simply on the basis of the information provided.  That Athena worked one
day and not the next suggests something changed on your computer.

  Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

  Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2

  Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel